Randomly on Dalemark and Dindsenchas (Tangential to Re: Sense of Place)

McMullin, Elise mcmullea at kl.com
Tue Sep 7 18:26:55 EDT 1999

	Philip said:
	"Yes.  Like it!  I don't generally go for Irish as a language - too
many American
> authors like to pretend to be Irish (see PanCelts in the Tough Guide).
> One day
> I want to learn Welsh..."

	Don't forget the Celts-in-Space!

	Now follows pure silliness:
	Welsh is one of the most mystifying-looking agglomerations of
letters I have ever seen.  Did they ship their vowels across the water to
the irish?  Were there vowel raiding parties and hostage negotiations?
Could the beleagured tribes one day no longer afford to buy a vowel?

	But I am sure my mystification is because I have never heard it
spoken, except on a couple of those television shows where they go to that
little town with the long name ( of which the english translation is: Little
town with the long name over the bridge by the black rushing waters, ask for
Bob at the pub are you out of breath yet?) and make some retired fellow
minding his own business say it several times.  But it did sound very
exciting, what little I heard - dramatic!  It's always the sound of a
language that gets me going.

	And look here, here's dwj talking about welsh in her autobio at
deborah's site:
"I still sometimes dream in Welsh, without understanding a word. And at the
bottom of my mind there is always a flow of spoken language that is not
English, rolling in majestic paragraphs and resounding with splendid
polysyllables. I listen to it like music when I write."

	Welsh - used by bards to this very day ;)

	Point? What point?
	Elise