Maunderings

McMullin, Elise mcmullea at kl.com
Tue Sep 7 11:42:31 EDT 1999

	Mary Ann wrote:
	"I came eventually to feel that What Girls are Like When Fifteen
> is a very >intimate part
> >of what the novel is about. Indeed, this is made rather explicit. I agree
> with Jones >that 15-
> >year-old girls are Looking for Trouble, and I just wish they typically
> found no more >than they
> >sought.

And Antonia replied:
	"Well, as a 15 year old I felt the need to say something. I don't
think I'm
> looking for trouble, but maybe I am without knowing it. I don't know! Life
> is complicated. Other than that I can't add much to this discussion
> because
> I havent read Fire and Hemlock (horrified gasp) because before coming upon
> this list I didn't even know it existed. I've looked everywhere but I
> can't
> find it."

	Hang in there for Fire & Hemlock. Early on in the life of this list,
a woman from Viking publishing sent in a post saying that they are going to
reprint it and a number of other dwjs - I can't remember which ones or which
order, though.  I just remember that one because I don't own it yet and
really want it.

	15 was a particularly difficult year for me.  The morning of my 16th
birthday I actually sent up a dawn prayer of thanks for not being 15 anymore
and made a number of vows and resolutions about which paths I intended to
follow and which avoid.  Sure, I'm a melodramatic ham, but I meant it and it
was a definite turning point.  Things weren't different right away, but they
became more and more different as I sort of continued to make decisions
according to what I decided about what I wanted or didn't want (based in
part on my experience after being 15).

	Hmm, I was going to say more about that, but on second thought!
Perhaps not. heh heh heh

	Elise

	p.s. Mary Ann, loved your maunderings.  Sterculius? really??