Aunt Maria and others (was: Re: And Yet Another Newcomer)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Sep 7 06:50:16 EDT 1999

> I'm going to have to admit that a Merlin analogy never occured to me when

Nor to me!

> reading Aunt Maria (we yanks are politically correct at all costs
> don'tcha'kno...), but then I'll also have to admit that Aunt Maria is my

Oh please no, not political correctness!  I suppose I should have guessed.  I
naively assumed that the change in title was because there was already a book
called "Black Maria" in the US (It's a book of cartoons, by Chas Addams, my
favourite cartoonist.  No, I haven't got a copy.  Yet.)

> least favorite of Jones' novels. And if it's going to get Arthurian on me it
> will undoubtedly remain so, since I find most things Arthurian repellent. But
> I suspect that you are right, and that there are further similarities for
> people to pick out like raisins from the muelsi.
>
> It isn't actually the story itself which repells me. I have a strong stomach
> and Time of the Ghost is nastier (and Homeward Bounders far more unhappy) But
> I think that Jones was a bit too clever in this one. Her narriator gets
> swamped by a spell of dullness early on and it does too good a job of
> infecting the telling, which you follow along more or less out of habit right
> up to the transformation -- which hits you like a bucket of ice water. That
> wakes you up all right, but by that time the events have gotten away from you
> and you are never quite convinced that you've managed to catch up enough to
> be sure of what is going on. I much prefer to be artfully led up the garden

I had not seen it that way but I think I know what you mean.

> path as in Hexwood where all the clues are scrupulously placed right out in
> plain sight, and you look right past them because you haven't got the right
> context for them yet.

Definitely.  Another book where you have to (sorry.  I have to) read it several
times before I can trace all the interconnections.  Sudden Wild Magic is good
like that.

On the other hand, I thought you didn't like things Arthurian, and Hexwood is
definitely that...

> Since you can often see tracings of themes from earlier novels in Jonses's
> current work, I am getting a strong feeling that I see something of Aunt
> Maria in Dark Lord's Mr Chesney figure. Anyone agree?.

Who forces obedience by ignoring any suggestion that he/she might be disobeyed.
Yes.  Good analogy.  I see him as quite closely related to Brother Lawrence
(SWM), too - though Lawrence was not quite so poinsonous - in that neither can
see anything wrong in his exploitation of the other world, even when it is
brought forcefully home to him.

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.