dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #72

Tarja Rainio tarja.rainio at helsinki.fi
Mon Sep 6 08:52:40 EDT 1999

 On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:12:55 GMT Melissa wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:02:37 -0400 (EDT), deborah wrote:
>
>>And as for the books Melissa mentioned above?  Try to convince me
>>that Connie Willis' _To Say Nothing of the Dog_ isn't literature.
>>Or _Uncharted Territories_, which is actually a lot like a DWJ
>>novel, come to think of it.  Bellairs' books, which I wish all
>>the Goosebumps readers knew about.  Lois McMaster Bujold -- she
>>may not be taught in school, but if my roomate doesn't finish _A
>>Civil Campaign_ soon so I can read it I'm going to hit her over
>>the head and kidnap it.
>
>My husband was going to smother me with a pillow if I didn't stop laughing
>over _A Civil Campaign_.  Luckily he finished it last night so we could
>share our glee over Ivan's gradual transformation into "not-quite-an-idiot."
>I just love her characters.

Please, no spoilers! I'm going slowly mad waiting for the book to arrive
from Amazon.com (and so is a friend of mine who I promised to loan the book
after I'd read it  =)).  It was sent to me about two weeks ago, but I
haven't seen it yet. Hope the mail would just hurry with it!!!

Oh, BTW, a re-introduction is probably due. I've been on this list since
the beginning, and introduced myself then, but after that I've been mostly
lurking. My name is Tarja, and I live in Helsinki, Finland. I'm 29 (30 in
December -ghastly thought), study English and Comparative Literature in the
University of Helsinki. I've read and have most of DWJ's books and think
that the discussions on this list have been just marvellous. My first DWJ
book was Charmed Life in a Finnish translation. It was my favourite for a
long time, but nowadays I like the Dalemark quartet and Hexwood the best.

Tarya