Sense of place

Nat Case hedberg at vermontel.net
Fri Sep 3 10:58:22 EDT 1999

>From: Melissa at Proffitt.com (Melissa Proffitt)
>
>>It's very hard to imagine living in a world where you haven't seen a map. Or
>>where you don't think of the  land in terms of your understanding it on a
>>map. It's very confusing and a little scary.
>
>Doesn't that sound a lot like life in the medieval era, with so many people
>never really going anywhere beyond their immediate surroundings?  It would
>be really easy to believe horrible things about people from other places
>too...they live too far outside the world you know.

I think it's really been true for everywhere up to the modern era, and there
are still lots of evidences of it in all the manifestations of xenophobia.
To bring it back to DWJ, the blessing and curse of village life, like we see
in Aunt Maria/Black Maria, is the deep and secure knowledge of the local
area, something us modern urban types can only glimpse at, but which can
quickly and viciously rear up as something much darker and self-defensive
when it feels itself threatened.

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc.