Sense of place

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Sep 3 05:43:22 EDT 1999

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> Why do you suppose so many fantasy novels include maps?  Is it just
> that it's part of the whole concept of high fantasy?  Or to give the
> reader an edge in reading?  Or something else entirely?

I think in many cases it's partly what Nat said - it's very hard for
people these days to conceive of the world without a map - and partly
because it's what Tolkien did.

These days, the answer to many questions beginning "Why do so many
fantasy novels..." is, at least in part, "Because it's what Tolkien
did".

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."