How to address relatives

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Sep 3 03:19:26 EDT 1999

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999 Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

> Aunts and uncles - another dimension.  Few of my aunts, courtesy or
> otherwise, were ever called Auntie (thankfully).  Most others were
> Aunt Joan, etc.; one aunt insisted right from the start that we
> address her as ******** - but then she thought I ought to call my
> parents by their first names...

I've been calling my parents Mum and Dad for years, and will probably
continue to do so; but my aunts are all "Aunty" (apart from Great-Aunt
Rosa, who might not count) because I somehow can't wrap my mind about
them being "Aunt". It sounds too formal, or something.

Paul
--
And then, of course, there's my grandparents. Heh heh. Heh heh heh...