How to address relatives

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 2 23:31:01 EDT 1999

> ----------
> >, refers to herself as Mum, but Marcus always addresses her as
> > Zillah (and his aunt as Amanda, FWIW).  Is this common among small
> children?
>
> I wouldn't say common, but I've met it a few times.
>
> Sallyo.
> --

I remember being shocked when my younger sister insisted on doing it -
calling Mum Margaret. But I notice all of my children have done it at one
point or another. Its very effective for gaining attention - it seems I pay
more heed to a cry of "Anita" than I do to "Mum". Pip, nearly 3, still calls
us Anita and Tom consistently. Geordie, 5, does it occasionally; David, 9,
rarely or never.

Anita