other authors to compare with DWJ

Thu Sep 2 22:41:32 EDT 1999

>>but should I wait until I've read Spellcoats before I tackle Crown of
>>Dalemark (which I've just bought)?
>
>            I don't know if it makes a difference.  In my case I tried to
>read "Spellcoats" but couldn't.  (I know, blasphemy!).  Then I read "Cart and
>Cwidder" and "Drowned Ammett" and loved them.  Didn't realize that
>"Spellcoats" was linked to them.  Some time later, book four came out and I
>said "What?? "C and C" and "Ammett"  are part of a *quartet*?  Sooo, I read
>"Spellcoats"  and LOVED it, then re-read "C and C" and "Ammett", and then
>read "Crown of Dalemark".  I was glad I read "Spellcoats" first because it
>did add something to "Crown"  but, in answer to your question, I don't know
>if you absolutely *need* to read it first.  Sorry, not much help there!

I think it just means you'll have a different reading experience, depending
on what order you choose--not that you'll miss anything.  I read
_Spellcoats_ a long time ago, and then _Cart and Cwidder_, but I had no idea
that they were in a series and had never even *heard* of _Drowned Ammet_.
(This was before _Crown of Dalemark_ came out.)  I'd say, yeah, maybe read
_Spellcoats_ first, but it's not essential.

I can't believe I didn't know about _Drowned Ammet_.  It's my favorite of
the quartet.

Melissa Proffitt