How to address relatives

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 13:53:54 EDT 1999

Sally wrote:

> children say!  More difficult were the courtesy aunts and uncles we
> collected. In my teens I felt silly saying "Auntie Claire" and "Uncle Ross"
> to people who were no relation, and tried to change over to "Mr and Mrs
> Bennet". That hurt their feelings, and they offered first names as an
> alternative. I couldn't manage that though... it seemed disrespectful. In
> some cases I compromised with Mr and Mrs D etc.

Aunts and uncles - another dimension.  Few of my aunts, courtesy or otherwise,
were ever called Auntie (thankfully).  Most others were Aunt Joan, etc.; one
aunt insisted right from the start that we address her as ******** - but then
she thought I ought to call my parents by their first names...

To bring this back on topic, I notice that in Sudden Wild Magic, Zillah, when
talking to Marcus, refers to herself as Mum, but Marcus always addresses her as
Zillah (and his aunt as Amanda, FWIW).  Is this common among small children?  It
certainly adds an extra touch of individuality to the characterisation.

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK