Off Topic on Bad Books (Was RE: dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jone s) V 1 #70)

McMullin, Elise mcmullea at kl.com
Thu Sep 2 11:24:51 EDT 1999

	I think Melissa wrote this first snippet:

> > come after us.)  Sequels to things--good heavens, has anyone
> > ever tried to
> > read _Pemberley_, the sequel to _Pride and Prejudice_?  I'm
> > certain there
> > must have been someone out there who liked it.  But in the
> > first place, the
> > author didn't come close to matching Austen's style--and in the second
> > place, what is left to say about Elizabeth and Darcy?!?
> > There's a Bad Book
> > if I ever saw one.

And Anita replied:
	"But who? I don't think I've met anyone who liked it, discussed it
on the net
> with anyone who liked it, seen a review by anyone who liked it - its a
> travesty."

First of all, I can't believe there are other people who found and read
this.  What a kick it is to actually have other people talk about books one
has read.

I was scratching my head over Pemberley.  I wondered if the author had had
some slim inclination toward wondering about Darcy and Eliza and then was
pushed and prodded into writing a sequel by some unknown others.  And in
reading it, it was as if a whole team of people dressed in black had stolen
into Pemberley in the middle of a moonless night, made away with all the
characters we met in P&P, and replaced them with cyborgs whose neural
programming was completed without reference to the original individuals but
was rather whipped up from some cyborg cookbook recipes for Reserved but
Good Man and Witty Charming Woman.  You know, if they had got into this
whole cyborg thing, it might have been a really interesting story.

"Well...it ended up being grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.  Canned
soup.  Processed cheese food product (which ironically makes a MUCH better
sandwich, especially if you use real butter to grill the bread)."

All so true.  It's downright unnerving about the cheese food product.
Sometimes I promise to put a lot of effort into a special dinner for my b.f
- "I thought I'd start with some nice spinach and seaweed salad - no
dressing, it's bad for you and obscures the taste, move along to some
eggplant curry with braised tofu and finish off with some delicious soy
pudding," artful pause.  "Or, we could order a pepperoni pizza." ee hee hee.
And there is much rejoicing.

Elise