Off Topic on Bad Books (Was RE: dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V 1 #70)

Thu Sep 2 01:39:46 EDT 1999

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999 11:09:13 +0800, Anita Graham wrote:

>> come after us.)  Sequels to things--good heavens, has anyone
>> ever tried to
>> read _Pemberley_, the sequel to _Pride and Prejudice_?  I'm
>> certain there
>> must have been someone out there who liked it.  But in the
>> first place, the
>> author didn't come close to matching Austen's style--and in the second
>> place, what is left to say about Elizabeth and Darcy?!?
>> There's a Bad Book
>> if I ever saw one.
>>

>But who? I don't think I've met anyone who liked it, discussed it on the net
>with anyone who liked it, seen a review by anyone who liked it - its a
>travesty.

Probably because the only people who have read it are people who read and
loved _P&P_.  Otherwise, what's the point of reading a sequel?  And I can't
see any fan of _P&P_ liking _Pemberley_.

I feel sorry for the author, actually.

Melissa Proffitt