other authors to compare with DWJ

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Wed Sep 1 19:35:32 EDT 1999

hallieod at indigo.ie writes:

>What IS that thing with some characters?  Obviously they're well-written,
>we've all identified good characterization as a huge strength of DWJ (and
>those other "other authors"), but what is it about some particular ones
>that become part of your life in a real sense.  Sometimes bringing a
>feeling of loss as well as of enrichment.  It's not necessarily related to
>identification  - certainly not with Dido and me (though I do now curse in
>Dido-ese).

        I don't know, other than that I think part of it, for me, is that
those characters are the ones I wish I could meet in real life.  So, for me
too, it's not necessarily related to identification.  I don't see myself for
instance in Chrestomanci, but I would love to meet him.  When he turns up in
a story, I know everything's going to be all right.  And when characters like
that leave or die, I miss them as I would close and trusted friends.
Something to do with being allowed into a character's soul I think, seeing
their vulnerabilities and human-ness.  You get this sort of sense of intimacy
with those characters--which is totally bizarre I guess, because they're
inventions--but, I don't know, it's still there, and they *do* become a part
of your life.  So, for me, when they leave, I miss them.

>Recently remembered a wonderful line from _Northanger Abbey_ which pertains
>to the accessibility topic.  When Henry tells Catherine he understands her
>perfectly well, she replies:
>"Me? yes; I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible."

        Love Jane Austen!  I love her understated sideways way of saying
things.  She deals with those subjects, the ones that put me in a temper, in
this calm way that deflates them and takes the sting out of them.  My
favorite time studying English was when we got to do Austen,  some Pope, and
some Donne.  A lot of laughing and a lot or recognition. Fun fun fun! :)

>No wonder the Joyceans dislike Jane Austen. >>

        Heh heh heh!

  amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au (Anita Graham) (who can too "put two
  coherent thoughts together" ) wrote:
>I'd like to read Howl before Castle in the Air (which is on my shelves)

        Oooh!  I'm so jealous!  You get to read Howl for the FIRST TIME!
Lucky LUCKY thing!

>but should I wait until I've read Spellcoats before I tackle Crown of
>Dalemark (which I've just bought)?

            I don't know if it makes a difference.  In my case I tried to
read "Spellcoats" but couldn't.  (I know, blasphemy!).  Then I read "Cart and
Cwidder" and "Drowned Ammett" and loved them.  Didn't realize that
"Spellcoats" was linked to them.  Some time later, book four came out and I
said "What?? "C and C" and "Ammett"  are part of a *quartet*?  Sooo, I read
"Spellcoats"  and LOVED it, then re-read "C and C" and "Ammett", and then
read "Crown of Dalemark".  I was glad I read "Spellcoats" first because it
did add something to "Crown"  but, in answer to your question, I don't know
if you absolutely *need* to read it first.  Sorry, not much help there!

  mcmullea at kl.com (McMullin, Elise) wrote:
>Oh, I can't help but be anxious on behalf of the Dalemark books!
>But it's true that the first three Dalemarks have a different taste to them
>than other dwj works.  I'm a fanatic about those three books (esp. Drowned
>Ammet), so perhaps I should refrain from spluttering and gesticulating.

        <<grin>>  I get the same way.  If someone even mildly criticises
something I really like, it's not me I feel bad for, it's the poor book or
song or movie or whatever; as if they had feelings that could be hurt!  "You
just don't understand them!"  I want to cry, "give them a second chance!"
        Please don't refrain from gesticulating and spluttering (which you
don't really do anyway!).  I love when people are enthusiastic about what
they love and like.  It's contagious.  So many people on this list have
mentioned "The Perilous Gard" and "A College of Magicks" (spelling?) with
rave reviews that I went and bought them, and am enjoying snatching odd
moments through the day to dip into them.  I wouldn't have if I'd gone by
their covers.  Besides, it's great when people are direct and excited, and
not so great when they're too cool to join the human race.

  Philip.Belben at pgen.com wrote:
>BTW, has anyone on this list _not_
>rotated the map in Tough Guide through 180 degrees?

        ME!  Dug out my copy this afternoon.  Lol!  Thanks, Philip!

  Melissa at Proffitt.com (Melissa Proffitt)
>Why do you people POST SO MUCH!  Dinner will never get ready at this rate.

        Ditto!

Bye for now,
Max (who is *relishing* the chance to get her mitts on "Power of Three")