DWJ short stories

Wed Sep 1 19:13:29 EDT 1999

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:46:37 +1000 , PREISIG, Kylie wrote:

>What do people think of her short stories?

I really prefer reading novels.  Any novels.  Just on general principles.
Short stories just go too fast--in fact I normally read several stories in
one sitting and I tend to lose the titles because of it.

That said, I like most of DWJ's short stories.  I've already said that I
really wanted "Dragon Reserve, Home Eight" to be a novel because there was
so much in there.  But it worked fine as a short story.  What I find
interesting is that even though I sometimes find her endings to be a tad
rushed, I've never felt that about her short works.  Funny, because the only
thing I have to complain about her shorter things is what Kylie said about
her needing more time to develop her ideas and characters.

"The True State of Affairs" is one of my favorites (though on reflection I
can't see how I didn't know it was a very early work) because it's so dismal
and yet perfectly reasonable.  I like dismal if it's justified--I don't like
dismal for its own sake.  But other than this one, which really reached out
and grabbed me, I can't really remember what I thought of the others.

>In general, I think her short stories range from very averge to quite good,
>and her novels are a cut above them.

I agree.

Melissa Proffitt