dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #70

Wed Sep 1 19:00:12 EDT 1999

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 18:20:56 +0100, Philip.Belben at pgen.com wrote:

>Buried in a long post, Mellissa wrote:

>> Don't feel bad about not liking something.  And on this list you don't ever
>> have to suggest that you might not know what you're talking about. (Okay, so
>> this is one of MY buttons.)  It's one thing to make comments about the
>> absolute worth of a book--whether or not it is, in some concrete sense, a
>> bad book.  It's another to say that you just didn't like something.  Your
>> opinion of your reading tastes is something only you can know!  Sure, you
>
>Very good point, which I've never thought of before.  Some books I don't like
>because they are bad books, others I simply don't like.
>
>A bad book is very subjective, but I (not educated in lit. crit., BTW) would be
>fairly confident in labelling a book bad if I could identify concrete features
>about it that I consider bad.

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about!!!  And, as you say, you don't have
to be formally educated to be able to identify poorly done elements of a
book.

Good examples, too...I really couldn't finish _To Sail Beyond the Sunset_
even though I love Heinlein even when we're having a philosophical
disagreement.  Way too much of a look into the woman's sex life.

Melissa Proffitt