Dead Can Dance and music

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Sep 1 16:56:51 EDT 1999

Elise wrote:

>        So, I am as large a fan of the band Dead Can Dance (and the solo
>career of the band's female singer Lisa Gerrard) as I am of dwj.  For much
>the same reasons as I like dwj too.  There's something that really moves me
>about most of their music. Also, whenever I sit back and quiet down to
>listen, I have these really vivid stories spring to life in my mind out of
>nowhere (the Tao?), inspired by the music.  It's like magic.  I've heard a
>number of other DCD listeners say the same about stories springing into
>their minds.  Well, musical taste is a chancy thing - maybe even moreso than
>with books and some of their songs do get sentimental, but it's storytelling
>music really so it's worth mentioning.

Oooh! Oooh! Me! (Becca here.)  I don't know which album of DCD it's on, but
my grandfather translated 'I am stretched on your grave' from the original
Irish, and then someone turned it into a song. I quite enjoyed their music.
It was different. And I like different. I like the background music, and I
just *love* 'I am stretched on your grave.' I don't know why, because it's
a bit spooky.
Anyway, another song that reminds me of DWJ is...Unicorn set  by the
Tannahill Weavers, in the album Capernaum (or summat of the sort). My mom
asked me what it reminded me of, and I said 'Cart and Cwidder,' which is
exactly what it reminded her of. It's very swirly, and sort of
old-sounding, and they're a strange combination but it is absolutely
beautiful. I'd recommend the Tannahill Weavers to anyone.
Sorry for not making any sense, I'm very tired!
Becca

Note from "Mummy"
The DCD album is "Toward the Within".  I had hoped to be able to say that
you could hear Unicorn Set on Green Linnet's site, but unfortunately they
haven't put Capernaum on their audio files yet.
I would like to assure everyone that Becca's report was of a
carefully-controlled, double-blind scientific investigation.  Yup.  I
played the song, asked her which DWJ book it reminded her of, and she
answered.  Amazing, isn't it?
Hallie