Sense of place

Nat Case hedberg at vermontel.net
Wed Sep 1 15:31:19 EDT 1999

Dalemark is indeed a very interesting case. I'm a cartographer, in large
part because I think of places in terms of maps, and find that making a map
is one of the best ways for me to get to know a place. Now Dalemark's
characters are all very involved in the geography. The terrain is an
important part of all four stories, and the politics is heavily regional at
its base. Nevertheless, I defy you to make a coherent map of the place.
Aside from the drastic shifts after Spellcoats.

I think part of why the books work on this curious geographic basis, is that
the landscape is experienced mostly as people experienced the land BEFORE
the modern survey map. A map of Cart and Cwidder or Drowned Ammet or the
pre-modern part of Crown of Dalemark would have the not-quite-to-scale
distortions of most maps of the 18th century, I think, a look which is hard
to get to from our training to see "correct" shapes.

An interesting setup, all round.

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc.