How to start people off on DWJ [OT]

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Wed Sep 1 13:54:57 EDT 1999

Replying to my own post is very bad form, but I said,

> I recall first encountering DWJ when I was 8 or 9, in the Children's section
of
> the local library, my Papa [1] came up behind me and said, "Look, there's a
book

And then forgot to add the footnote, probably because it was to be somewhat off
topic.

The question is, how do people address their parents?

DWJ has a wide spectrum (see the short story "Carruthers" for a discussion of
the point), but as a child and right through my teens I always called them
"Mummy" and "Daddy".

At about the time I went up to university I decided I wanted to find something
less childish (is this really necessary?), and neither I nor my parents liked
"Mum" and "Dad".  Not liking the formality of "Mother" and "Father", I
eventually settled on "Mama" and "Papa", influenced by many novels by Georgette
Heyer.  I was merely wondering if other people have had this dilemma, and if
their reading has helped them solve it...

Philip.