other authors to compare with DWJ

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Sep 1 06:46:46 EDT 1999

Kylie wrote:
>_Is_ and _Cold Shoulder Road_ are my least favourites!  Is is not nearly as
>good a character as Dido.  _The Wolves of Willoughby Chase_ and _Dido and
>Pa_ are my favourites.  I'm looking forward to getting hold of _Limbo
>Lodge_.

Don't get me wrong Kylie.  Dido is one of my all-time most-loved
characters.  I think my respect for _Is_ stems partly from the fact that I
could like it so much, despite losing Dido after _Dido and Pa_ .  Getting
me to allow anyone else to take centre stage from Dido was no small task!
I still want another Dido book badly, and _Limbo Lodge/Dangerous Games_
just won't do it for me.

What IS that thing with some characters?  Obviously they're well-written,
we've all identified good characterization as a huge strength of DWJ (and
those other "other authors"), but what is it about some particular ones
that become part of your life in a real sense.  Sometimes bringing a
feeling of loss as well as of enrichment.  It's not necessarily related to
identification  - certainly not with Dido and me (though I do now curse in
Dido-ese).

Recently remembered a wonderful line from _Northanger Abbey_ which pertains
to the accessibility topic.  When Henry tells Catherine he understands her
perfectly well, she replies:
"Me? yes; I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible."

No wonder the Joyceans dislike Jane Austen.

Hallie
(hallieod at indigo.ie)