Movie test

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Wed Sep 1 00:43:35 EDT 1999

In a message dated 8/31/99 11:44:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sheeyun at ix.netcom.com writes:

>Alison Bechdel has a character in an early number of her comic strip say
>that she no longer
>watches movies unless

> (1) there are at least two women characters
> (2) who talk to each other in the course of the movie
> (3) about something other than a man or men.

        Lol!  Am printing these out for the wall above my computer.

  deborah at suberic.net (deborah) wrote:
>Star Wars: never more than one woman per film, unless you count
>Aunt Beru and Mon Mothma.  Certainly never women who speak to
>each other.

        Yes.  And perhaps someone could explain to me why the first concern
of a female political leader in flight is her wardrobe?  I haven't seen so
many costume changes since cruising the Barbie aisle at Toys-R-Us.  Too bad
the people who make 'Xena' couldn't get their hands on this movie....  (I'm
not knocking the costumes themselves btw; I thought they were beautiful.  But
I find disturbing the message going out to hundreds and thousands of little
boys and girls all over the world, that the only thing girls are allowed to
think about is looking nice, while boys get to fight, fly exciting vehicles,
and grow up to be defenders or rulers of the universe (Jedi knights and
politicians.)  In the fun stakes it's a no-brainer who's having the fun and
who's just looking on.

   mcmullea at kl.com (McMullin, Elise) wrote:
>This is the part where I would have said - Mwah Haa haa Haaa!

        rotfl!

  hallieod at indigo.ie (Hallie O'Donovan)
>Deirdre, I'm certainly with you in wonder at how quickly other people
>manage to write to this - so elegantly too!

        I think this is my 'real world' equivalent of going out for coffee
with my friends back in college when I *should* have been studying!  Such fun
to come back home at the end of a long, and perhaps gloomy day, to all these
wonderful posts.  Deborah, you have surely discharged all your karmic debts
forever by creating this list, and can come back in future lives as anything
you like! Thank you thank you thank you!  (I think I would come back as a
cat.  They seem to have their priorities straight... Nap, wake up, stretch,
prowl, eat, groom, snooze, wake up, play with catnip mouse, taunt dog, groom,
eat, nap, nap, nap.)

  mcmullea at kl.com (McMullin, Elise) wrote:
>So, I am as large a fan of the band Dead Can Dance (and the solo
>career of the band's female singer Lisa Gerrard) as I am of dwj.  For much
>the same reasons as I like dwj too.

        Ooh!  Like the name of the band.  If they're like DWJ then have to
check them out.

  hedberg at vermontel.net (Nat Case) wrote:
>In some cases, the delicious sense of a familiar landscape magicked
>up is a large part of the appeal ( I think here of Bull's WAR FOR THE OAKS
>and Dean's TAM LIN.
>I think perhaps a key to what Jones is about comes in Homeward Bounders,
>where He (Prometheus) makes his home "real" by his mere presence. Not sure
>how, but I think a similar process of an author living in the the setting
>does make a big difference, even when (as in Jones' case) the setting is
>almost never real.
>Any comments?

        Yes.  I'm with you on the setting being a big part of the appeal in
"War For the Oaks" and "Tam Lin", both of which I love.  And that it makes a
big difference when a writer is 'there' in the story, seeing the sights,
smelling the smells, etc, and making it familiar to the reader.  It's real to
me when it's real to the author.  I read to escape (among a bunch of other
reasons) and when the setting is so sharply evoked it's very easy to escape
into that created world.  I don't know how I would find Minneapolis if I
actually went there, but I would hope that it's very similar to the
Minneapolis of "War for the Oaks"  (Actually, now I come to think of it,
didn't someone post to the list a few months ago saying that WFTO did capture
it well?? I think they did.)  And I wished my college experience was like
Janet's in "Tam Lin".  Well...not literally!  But I do remember feeling
disappointed when it turned out to be so similar to school:  all about grades
and what would be on the test, and not so much about exploring ideas and
learning to think creatively.  Plus, a little magic wouldn't have gone amiss.
;)  DWJ (back on topic, ta da!) made Market Chipping, Kingsbury, etc, so real
in 'Howl's Moving Castle'; and somehow, when they went to Wales, that was so
vivid too (though it's not as if we see famous landmarks or anything) because
the strange things Sophie sees (computers, blue jeans, etc) are so familiar
to us.  What's strange to her is familiar to us, but made to seem strange;
and what's familiar to her is made familiar to us, though it should be
strange because it grew from DWJ's imagination.  (Why is this starting to
sound like 'the friend of my friend is my friend....?)

        Wow, so many great posts.  I wish I could reply to them all, but it
would take me about 90 years.  Gotta go be good now and work, so

bye for now

Max

PS  cme at MIT.EDU (Courtney M Eckhardt) wrote
>P.S. Tanaquil2, would you add me to your non-blocked list?

        Done!