Hello, dwj list :-)

CCHANG at trailing-edge.com CCHANG at trailing-edge.com
Sun Oct 31 16:01:21 EST 1999

[I was disappointed with _ASWM_, never re-read it.]

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Irina Rempt-Drijfhout wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Sally Odgers wrote:
>
> > I found this one grew on me. I've read it three times now, and it really
> > does improve...
>
> Someone told me it was horrible, and I read it anyway thinking "it
> can only be better" and it was so much better that I liked it
> straight away. Not as much as, to name a few, _The Homeward Bounders_

Well, I probably will re-read it soon. If it had been by any other
writer, I don't think I would have had that reaction, but I vaguely
remember that when I read it I was thinking, "Oh no! She's lost it!
She's recycling or writing on automatic!" (Which, now that I've
read that essay that she wrote about "writing for adults" or whatever,
I realize is not true.)  I know it was unfair of me, but I felt
that it wasn't a "real" DWJ book.

Expectations have definitely hurt my enjoyment of books before.
This happened most recently with _Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone_

(I have the American version. Ick. I hate when publishers decide
to "Americanize" books. Were DWJ's books ever Americanized? I hope
not...I'd have to go track down all the originals, then! And I don't
see how they could have Americanized the cricket references, which
were what I always found most confusing. I mean, even _F&H_ made
sense after I read it a few times and thought about it...)

Anyway, I suppose it's good that DWJ's books haven't been hyped to
such an extent...

> And there are some really good little things in it - we still say
> "it's trying to rain" when it's, well, trying to rain. Even if
> there's no witch stopping it :-)

Yes, true, DWJ always has good little things in her books. :-)

And I've never been able to reread _Witch Week_ or _Time of the Ghost_
straight through, either. I like them, but I find them too intense to
read all in one gulp.

Celeste Chang
cchang at trailing-edge.com