Chrestomanci Comparisons

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 31 13:12:58 EST 1999

Yes, Chrestomanci does remind me of Mr. Darcy in several ways.  First,
they look very much alike, though Chrestomanci is a little taller.  (Don't
mind me; I tend to get enormously opinionated about what characters in
books look like.)  Second, they're both highly impressive, awe-inspiring
gentlemen (and I use that unfortunately over-used word advisedly).  Third,
they do tend to make decisions in a rather high-handed,
I-know-best-and-needn't-consult-the-people-involved manner (though
Chrestomancy's job is rather an excuse for that).

But on the whole I do think Chrestomanci has a livelier sense of the
absurd, if not of humour, than Mr. Darcy (witness the flamboyant
peacock-coloured morning coats).

Alexandra

P.S.  Since we're into comparisons:  Is it just me, or does Chrestomanci
occasionally remind one of Peter Wimsey?  (Or is it just both gentlemen's
passion for extravagant morning coats?)