Reading (bookshop) recommendation time

Sun Oct 10 20:11:38 EDT 1999

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999 21:49:26 -0700, Patrick M. Self wrote:

>Yep, Powell's is wonderful. I live near Salem, which is near Portland. I go
>there every birthday and my mom gives me a "gift certificate" :) There is an
>incredible variety of books there, and I've gotten a LOT of DWJ books there
>I've never seen before. They also apparently import them from the UK because
>they have paper back DWJ books that cost $10-20 and only have the cost in
>pounds on the cover :)

They do import quite a lot of books.  It's nice in some cases, but you're
right that it gets expensive.  I think I paid about $13 for my UK edition of
Tough Guide (which I bought at Powell's).  THEN they started importing the
UK hardcover editions of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books.  I had to draw
the line there.  $40 for a book?  I'm not THAT wealthy.

This is the month to order from Powell's Online service, too.  They're
waiving shipping costs on big orders (over $50 I think) until the end of
October.  Or was it all shipping costs?  I can't remember now....

Melissa Proffitt