Reading recommendation time

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 5 11:03:41 EDT 1999

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> The other thing I was thinking about was that the kind of magic
> where there's a price (as opposed to your creation magic) is usually
> found in High Fantasy.  The sort that DWJ parodies in _Tough Guide_.
> Tolkien, Eddings, Jordan, etc.  And I think the reason for that is
> that bad guys in high fantasy are evil in a world-shattering way.
> They either are completely alien or they exult in destruction or are
> just plain Bad.

Which reminds me...

Local Author Plug :

Dave Luckett.
Remember the name. You'll have to, his books haven't been released
outside Australia yet...

His latest trilogy is high fantasy, and explores (over the course of a
cracking story) the idea of the evil overlord - where do these people
come from? What drives them to lay large areas of land to waste and
consort with monstrous beasts?

It's been highly acclaimed, as much as any fantasy work ever is in
Australia.

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."