introduction

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 30 19:05:50 EST 1999

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:20:23 -0500, McMullin, Elise wrote:
>
> > You know, I don't think I've ever read a Sayers book.  I'd better
> > get cracking.  I've really only read Christie out of the mystery
> > genre.
>
> Oooh, I think you will like them.  What bugs me is that it's really
> hard to find a list of the series in order.

What bugs *me* is that it's really hard to find copies of the early
books. I've have to resort to the Chivers Audio versions. Mind you,
Ian Carmichael does such a good Lord Peter that that's not really a
disadvantage.

This is the order I've been told:

Whose Body?
Clouds of Witness
The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club
Lord Peter Views The Body[*]
Strong Poison
Five Red herrings
Have His Carcase
Murder Must Advertise
Hangman's Holiday
The Nine Tailors
Gaudy Night
Busman's Honeymoon
In the Teeth of the Evidence
Striding Folly

and then _Thrones, Dominations_, which was written recently by
somebody else, and which I've not heard good things about.

[*] Short stories. And you know what, I don't think Lord Peter
actually views the body once in the entire collection. :)

> My baby brother (okay, he's nine) has for school something called a Jonra
> wheel.  I have no idea what this is, but from context I gather that it has
> to do with reading different classes of books, like nonfiction and myth and
> so forth.

Then it's a Genre Wheel, presumably. Or has he actually been told it's
spelled "jonra"?

> I suggested _Eight Days of Luke_ for his Myth requirement--it may
> have to be an actual book of myths, but I don't know.  Anyway,
> _Luke_ was an obvious choice, but are there any other DWJ books that
> you would consider a direct treatment of mythology?

Direct treatment of mythology? Not that I can think of. Wholesale
plunder of useful mythological elements is more common.

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."