UK edition of 5th Elephant

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Tue Nov 30 16:22:05 EST 1999

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:20:25 -0700, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

>I can't believe the amount of ripping off that's going on.  People are
>auctioning this book for incredible prices online.  I second those thank
>yous.

See, I don't think it is people ripping others off.  I think that Amazon UK
figured out a cheaper way to do things.  I mean, you have a combination of
50% off and low overhead working for them.  A regular person has to purchase
the book at full retail price (~16 pounds) and then ship it off at regular
postal rates (probably ~5 pounds).  There's $40 or so and then you have
their time to do so.  Amazon has much lower costs, plus it's all they do.  I
don't think those who charge more are ripping people off so much as they are
trying to provide stuff when they aren't optimized to do it.

Jacob "the Free-Market Capitalist" Proffitt