HMC idea

sheeyun at ix.netcom.com sheeyun at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 25 08:46:08 EST 1999

I always thought of both Howl and Calcifer as innately prone to sound crankier, crustier, less
friendly, less generous and less brave than they actually are. And they remain that way, despite
odd moments of a wind which serves to advance an honest mind.

After all, while both are snappish with Sophie initially, both actually facilitate her moving
in. And the increasing kindness of both remains associated with sharp speech.

-
-

,

,

Certainly the similarity of Howl and Calcifer is notable. It might stem from the shared heart.
But for myself, I think of them as close friends with rather similar temperaments. And perhaps,
after all, that's why Calcifer accepted Howl's offer of extended life. The other shooting star
we meet didn't, but I can certainly imagine Howl doing so in similar circumstances.

It's not that the other readings are illegitimate. They just don't add resonance to my reading--
to my taste and to my mind, of course.

Mary Ann