steam organs

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 12 17:45:11 EST 1999

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> Don't remember which prominent child psychologist - perhaps Piaget?

Piaget started it, someone else whose name escapes me did the work
described below and developed it.

> - built up a whole theory of moral development in children, which is
> based on asking children questions like whether they would steal a
> rare medicine in order to save someone's life, and rating their
> reasons.

More specifically, stealing a rare medicine that one could have bought
were the chemist not insisting on charging a 500% (or similar) markup.

> The highest level of morality is supposed to be adherence to a
> principle or law, over personal reasons and reasons of self
> perservation.

As I recall, that's one of the lower levels. Let's see what I can
remember:

Level 1: If I was/will be rewarded, it's good. If I was/will be
         punished, it's bad.
Level 2: Following rules imposed from above Because They're The Rules,
         without questioning.
Level 3: The Social Contract. Rules are understood on the basis of
         holding society together, etc.
Level 4: Some special state I can't remember the name of, that only a
         few people reach.

> And women are born morally inferior to men, according to this
> theory. thbbbthpth

Well, it's better than the alternative. At least one respected
psychologist has gone on the record saying that women's behaviour is
morally superior to men's, only because women don't have the
intelligence required for successful criminal activity.

> I really should look up a source instead of quoting vague memories.

So should I.

> 1. About a year ago I was somehow roped into a visit+lecture at the
> home of some man way up in the north of Israel (Kiryat Shmone) who
> collects ancient musical instruments, plays all of them well enough
> to demonstrate, and lectures about how these instruments may have
> been invented and developed in time. To get to the point, he talked
> about various organs, and how having a constant flow of air in the
> pipes was always a drawback of organs. He mentioned various ways
> that organs have been powered: pumped by hand, electric, etc. I
> specifically asked if there had ever been organs powered by steam,
> and he said that to the best of his knowledge there hadn't. And he
> knew and owned more variants of ancient instruments than I had ever
> dreamed of.

Depends what you mean by "powered by steam". I agree with all the
stuff Philip was saying.

See also "calliope" in the nearest encyclopedia.

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
 colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black."