Lady or Tiger, Robertson Davies

sheeyun at ix.netcom.com sheeyun at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 5 08:02:46 EST 1999

I must have had a deranged junior high school English teacher. In fact, I know I did!

I love Robertson's Davies's work, but he was definitely peculiar about women. He was very sure
that there were profound differences between men and women-- and that precisely what these are are
Very Clear. And I grieve to report that his entire character Maria is an elderly male scholar's
wet dream in _Rebel Angels_ -- upon whom he gets his revenge in _Lyre of Orpheus_. All in my
opinion, of course. Perhaps others read her differently.

But nonetheless I like Monica in _A Mixture of Frailties_ very much indeed. Perhaps as much as
anything because a bildungsroman about a young woman is so rare....

Mary Ann