Lady or Tiger

Sarah Imholt Arahsae at netscape.net
Wed Nov 3 23:37:32 EST 1999

Elise wrote:
"It reminds of a story we had to read in grade school by the author of The
Lady or the Tiger (actual name of author long forgotten) where, in this
other story, a court lady is bragging to her friends that her suitor is so
wonderfully devoted that he would do anything for her, no matter what.  So
they are at an arena watching wild beasts tear each other to pieces and
she tosses her glove in to show off to her friends. Sure enough, he
fetches the
glove, climbs up the wall and then waps her across the face with it and
dumps her. At least, that's how I remember the ending - he may have just
dumped her.  Heh heh."

     I am sorry, for this is just me being anal, but I thought "The Lady or
the Tiger" was that short, annoying story without an ending.  I remember
reading it for grade school also and it was somewhat bothersome because the
author left it up to the reader to decide what happened--the main guy chose a
door to open, but did it lead to the beautiful Lady, or the fierce Tiger who
would eat him up?  I must admit that I like the story Elise related much
better than the one I recall.  It may be just a case of same title, different
story, for which I apologize for interrupting the flow of the list!

    Anyway, SOMEONE must recall either one of these stories and place an
author to each of them.

Sarah in Oregon