Flying off topic (Was RE: More magic stuff)

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Mon Nov 1 11:36:04 EST 1999

Alexandra wrote:

	"I so hugely agree. And what irks me is that this kind of
honourableness
> has been described as "male" by even very intelligent writers like
> Robertson Davies (Canadian gentleman)--let alone the people who commit
> screenplays/stories for so many adventure movies, in which the hero's
> girlfriend/wife spends all her time urging the hero not to risk either
> himself or his family for the sake of honour.  (Not that I don't
> understand her point of view; but to label honour as male and personal
> motives as female motivation seems ... well... inaccurate and unjust in a
> particularly annoying way.)"

	Not only that but how, particularly in movies, the female characters
so often do these weird, brainless, inexplicable things and collapse in to
helplessness at the *most* inconvenient time.  And, because they are the
love interest, their weird actions -which mainly seem to be included just to
up the stakes of danger and difficulty- are just kind of glossed whereas if
it was real life and I was the guy, I would have to stop and ask myself
"What is this person  acting in such an odd, stupid, inexplicable, downright
disaster-oriented or even treacherous and betraying fashion really about?"
Though, it seems like, on the whole, movie plots are improving in this
regard (not that there aren't plenty of other things to go into a tizzy
about).  I particularly remember wanting to bang my head against the seat in
front because of the Vicky Vale character in the original Batman, whose idea
of dressing inconspicuously and to be ready for  danger and action was
wearing white head to foot and sneaking around on killer high heels.

It reminds of a story we had to read in grade school by the author of The
Lady or the Tiger (actual name of author long forgotten) where, in this
other story, a court lady is bragging to her friends that her suitor is so
wonderfully devoted that he would do anything for her, no matter what.  So
they are at an arena watching wild beasts tear each other to pieces and she
tosses her glove in to show off to her friends. Sure enough, he fetches the
glove, climbs up the wall and then waps her across the face with it and
dumps her. At least, that's how I remember the ending - he may have just
dumped her.  Heh heh.

Anyway, I guess the pertinent element is that it's really refreshing to have
characters like Polly.

Elise