Chrestomanci Comparisons

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Mon Nov 1 10:58:14 EST 1999

	" Anyway, read Drowned Ammet and Crown of Dalemark (and Spellcoats
and Cart and Cwidder, of course)."

	"Ah! I see it all... I never could get on with that series for some
reason.
> Maybe one day I'll go off with the four of them and no other reading
> matter
> on a very long and boring bus ride... I'm sure I could read them in those
> circs. I did read Spellcoats once, but it just didn't do what DWJ usually
> does. I didn't find myself smiling as I read. And I'm the one who advises
> people to have another go at Sudden Wild Magic!"

	A long, boring bus ride?! Oh, say it ain't so.  True that the
Dalemark ones aren't in the comic vein, but I think of them as focusing more
closely on an aspect of dwj's writing which seems to be present throughout
her work.  It's just that elsewhere I find myself laughing too hard to
notice how serious some things are, at first.  In the Dalemark books, I
really notice how dangerous, unstable and unfelicitous the environment is
for the main characters - so I tend to wince early and often.  They are like
seeds cast on hard ground - fates uncertain, prognosis grim.  That's what
involves me with them so strongly.   Maybe if you considered them as closer
to Homeward Bounders and Fire & Hemlock?

	Elise