Chrestomanci Comparisons

Carolyn Hotchkiss carolynh at capecod.net
Mon Nov 1 22:33:15 EST 1999

> And to those who didn't get along with the Dalemark quartet,
> heh. :-) Reread? I read _Spellcoats_ first, and didn't like it
> that much the first time, but now I love it! I love the way
> DWJ combines the mythical and the nitty-gritty family details.

Me too. I read _Spellcoats_ first, and it put me off so much that it was a
long time before I read the rest of the Dalemark books. Like it now, though.
The magic in Dalemark is a lot subtler than in most of her books, which I
think was part of what put me off at first.

> _Cart and Cwidder_ and _Drowned Ammet_ felt "historical" rather
> than "mythical".  I still like the musicians in C&C. In fact,
> I really love the way DWJ can portray musicians and people
> struggling with music. (I am an amateur violinist, and I was
> going "Yes! Yes! Exactly!" and laughing in sympathy with Howard
> in _Archer's Goon_.)

I used to take violin, and I just before I quit, my attitude was a lot like
Howard's. School orchestra was never quite that bad, though, most of us took
private lessons. Odd thing is, my violin teacher was named Miss Sykes. (and
my least favorate uncle and aunt are named Ralf and Marija. Weird.)

Carolyn