Chrestomanci Comparisons

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 12:29:29 EST 1999

>> Anyway, read Drowned Ammet and Crown of Dalemark (and Spellcoats and Cart
>> and Cwidder, of course).
>
> Ah! I see it all... I never could get on with that series for some reason.
> Maybe one day I'll go off with the four of them and no other reading matter
> on a very long and boring bus ride... I'm sure I could read them in those
> circs. I did read Spellcoats once, but it just didn't do what DWJ usually
> does. I didn't find myself smiling as I read. And I'm the one who advises
> people to have another go at Sudden Wild Magic!

So the problem is, how to start reading the Dalemark books...

My opinion (for what it's worth):

Spellcoats is good, but not really closely enough related to be a way in.

Crown of Dalemark depends too much on the other three.

Cart and Cwidder and Drowned Ammet are both good ways in to the Dalemark books.
Which one you like depends on you - you have to read them both to find out.  I
personally like C&C best, but if you want to meet Navis, try Ammet.  C&C is the
one that makes me smile most when I read it...

Philip.

PS True State of Affairs claims to be a Dalemark story, but the Dalemark there
is slightly different from the one of the later books.  It is also not IMHO a
<make you smile> story.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK