dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #68

Tanaqui tweaver at imbolc.ucc.ie
Sat Jul 31 17:12:43 EDT 1999

 Jessie and Devra were considering Them and the Upper Room.

They are demons, having only Their best interests at heart, and
They play games with the worlds and keep the Real Place.

The Upper Room is beneficent. Its people make sacrifices and recruit
from the worlds. It is not autonomous, constant, and its people are
not hard to see. Nor is anyone set against the Upper Room at all a
sympathetic character. Some of the Upper Room are human, some seem
to be pretty cool non-human.

The Upper Room kindly and considerately try to keep the status quo,
Intending it to move slowly towards better things, though their gentle
attempts to eradicate "improper" information beyond the Magids spooks
me somewhat. It is not the same as exiling a bunch of people, setting
hope before them and fear behind them, and weighting the game so that
they are twitching pawns.

Our viewpoint is dead set against Them, but in awe of the Upper Room.
I doubt any girl would find one of Them attractive, should she glimpse it.

Tanaqui