titles...

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Fri Jul 30 22:58:21 EDT 1999

> Here, you send us all these wonderful titles, and no Authors... How
unfair!

Mea culpa - mea maxima culpa...
Sorry, Jill - here goes. Please don't hold me responsible for spelling
errors as I haven't time to check them all before I go out.

> >Against the Wind  - Richard Butler; Convict Mary comes to Australia and
meets Jonathan... she teaches him to read, they marry and get mixed up with
bushrangers and various colonial characters. The title comes from that
lovely quote; "Yet freedom, yet thy banner, torn but flying, stream like a
thunderstorm against the wind." Quote also used in Monica Edwards' The
Midnight Horse.  TV version starred Mary Larkin and Jon English and had a
lovely sound track, including the song "Six Ribbons".

> >The Cliffs of Night - by Beatrice Brandon, (who was actually a man). A
wonderful Rom-Sus about American/Irish TV actress Grania Kirk who suffers
"burnout" in the 70s and goes to Ireland where she meets treasure hunters
Tommy O'Flarety  (sp?) archeologist Alanna and her husband Terrence and
Quinn Griffin who says he's a cop but is in fact a drug smuggler. There's a
dig under Bran O'Connor's Keep and lots of Irish legend.

> >Cold Iron - By Sophie Masson. A reworking of Tattercoats and other fairy
tales, with an Elizabethan take on the Faery king and queen. I don't find
it quite successful, but it has a good rep. Title also used by someone else
for a tale of Elf rock singers (!) and by Kipling for his poem.

> >The Court of Silver Shadows - Beatrice Brandon again. This time, a
strange family with actors in their background. Claustrophobic murder
mystery.

> >The Dancing Floor - Barbara Michaels. Heroine is taking a trip through
England planned with her dad who has died before they could leave. She
trespasses on an old world garden (she's interested in landscape design0
and gets mixedup with the family there. A romance suspence, with a murder
and the dancing floor itself is an allusion to witchcraft.

> >The Door into Summer - Robert Heinlein. Lovely story of inventor Dan who
is duped by his partner and fiancee and who is searching for his "door into
summer". He finds it in his partner's stepdaughter, his cat and the future.
Clever time-travel plot.

> >The Edge of Evening. Nicholas Stuart Grey. A set of short stories
including a charming take on knights and King Arthur's time and a sea
monster romance!

> >Falling into Glory. Robert Westall. One of my favourite writers, but not
my favourite of his books. A story of a schoolboy in love with his young
teacher.

> >Fire and Hemlock. We know - yes?

> >The Folk of the Air'. Peter S. Beagle, better known for The Last Unicorn
which I find a bir precious. A fascinating story set around one of those
meadiaeval clubs - the Society for Creative Anachronism or some such title.
Hero Farrell is looking for his friend Ben, but gets mixed up with some
very strange people. Farrell is a musician and Beagle calls him his "dear
coward". Fantasy and/or illusion, mixed up with an ageless goddess and a
dog with steerage capability!

> >Glory Road - Heinlein again. Scar Gordon is on the loose after the
Korean War. He is recruited by Star, who needs a hero... Scar is off on the
Glory Road to the egg and the phoenix...

> >Hexwood - We know.

> >Hidden in a Dream - Monica Edwards. Meryon Fairbrass is running along
the sea wall when he falls and knocks himself out. Plagued by vague unease
afterwards, he becomes involved in the mystery of a abandoned pony and
pony-trap which ties in to his own mystery.

> >Harding's Luck- E. Nesbit. One of a pair, the other being The House of
Arden. Dickie Harding (Victorian waif) has magical adventures and ends up
happily ensconsed in Elizabethan times!

> >Houses of Stone. Barbara Michaels again. A literary mystery, with
Literature Doctor Karen (I think) in search of the identity of a "lost"
novelist. Mayhem and romance.

> >The Iron Lily. Barbara Willard. Ironmaster Lilias with the "foresty
folk". One of the Mantlemass series.

> >Mist Over Athelney.  Geoffrey Trease. An adventure in the days of King
Alfred. Also known be a different name in the US.

> >The Other Side of Silence.  Margaret Mahy. A deeply disturbing book
about a child who is consciously mute. She befriends a strange old woman in
the house next door which leads to a terrifying near-disaster.

> >Owl Light. Maggie Pearson. A charming story about Hal and his sister
Ellie, who may be a werewolf!

> >Red Rowan Berry.  Frances Murray. A Scots romance, with the title from a
quote.

> >Ring of Bright Water. Can't recall the author, but it's about an otter
and was filmed.

> >A Ring of Endless Light; Madelaine L'Engle. Vicky Austin gets mixed up
with dolphins and death.

> >The Rose Rent. Ellis Peters. A Brother Cadfael story, a mystery about
the death of a young brother who pays the annual rent of one rose to a
widow.

> >To Sail Beyond the Sunset. Robert Heinlein. The last of the Lazarus Long
books, mostly about Maureen, Long's mother.

> >Satin and Lace. Danielle Shaw, a really nice romance about a personnel
officer.

> >Sea Lord. Bernard Cornwall. A sort of Dick Francis on the sea.

Sallyo.
P.S. Some of these books are reviewed at my review site;
http://202.139.243.100/sally/sally.htm

Interested in my monthly newsletter? Details at
http://members.xoom.com/Sallyo/welcome.html