Question about Howl's Saucepan Song

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Fri Jul 30 19:23:44 EDT 1999

Yay! Someone finally cleared up the mystery of the saucepan song!  BTW here's
a cool site if you ever wonder about Welsh pronunciation (as I do since I
don't speak Welsh but wish I did)...

    http://www.cs.brown.edu/fun/welsh/home.html

        Max

PS talking about language, you all probably already figured this out, but in
case some of you didn't... In "The Ogre Downstairs" the Dens. Drac. men near
the end are speaking English.
The first one says (Puffin edition p. 180)
    'Hit me on the lid again and see what you get!'
The next one says
    'Think (I hit) fellows on the 'ead do you?' (the bit in brackets say 'I
kit' but that doesn't make sense).
Next bit:
    'This kid's tried to thump me, fellows!'
Then
    'OK, let's take both of them apart a bit.'
Then
    'Let me at 'em.'
Next
    'Fulla spirit, aren't they?'
Then
    'Let's go, fellows.'

So I guess it's one of those joke / puzzles that works when you're reading
the book to yourself but not if you read it aloud--unless you use a really
heavy accent or something-- because Johnny and co would understand them at
once.
    TTFN  Max