Diane Duane (was the ambiguous nature of Faery)

Nat Case hedberg at vermontel.net
Thu Jul 29 12:30:08 EDT 1999

While I find the intrusion of theology (especially in High Wizardry) a bit
annoying,I find the exploration of what it really means to do something
brave, that might really and truly mean you will not come back alive,
compelling. Much the same thing I like about Fire and Hemlock, really.

I actually find the relation between the kids and parents in Duane one of
the best bits. It's been a given for so long that "adults just don't get
it," and yet here we adults are "getting it" over the internet. I really
like the trend of getting away from "adults can't see magical stuff" as a
given. See Pamela Dean's SECRET COUNTRY trilogy; not my favorite for a
number of reasons, but I think it's pretty daring in having the magic really
be real as a connection to our world.

off for a week to Colorado.

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc.