Ambiguous nature & Good lit

Thu Jul 29 01:02:51 EDT 1999

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 00:23:31 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>I think I'm going to have to join right in here, without proper intro or
>anything.  I'd promised myself to try to read all the archives before
>posting, to avoid saying something horribly repetetive, but I was only up
>to page 4 and found the site had disappeared yesterday.  I apologize in
>advance, but can't bear not joining in.  This list is too interesting!

Oooh, don't try.  We won't spam you cruelly if you repeat something we've
discussed.  I mean it.  Now don't the rest of you make me a liar!
Seriously, as long as a discussion list is a gathering of thinking people,
there's always room to revisit an earlier discussion because there's a
chance we can take an old discussion in a new direction.

>On Mon. 19 July, Nat Case wrote:
>> The ambiguous
>>nature of Faerie is still a very true source of story: one wishes aesthetic
>>beauty and comfort, but it ALWAYS comes with a price, no matter what the
>>salesperson on her silver-trimmed horse tries to tell you.
>
> I know quite a few people on the list have read _The Perilous Gard_, and I
>think one of the (many) things I loved about the book was Kate's ambiguity
>of feeling towards The People Under the Hill and The Lady. She has no
>ambiguity at all about resisting them and their plans, and yet, maybe, it
>is her very understanding that the easy route ALWAYS has too high a price,
>which forms the basis of Kate's and the Lady's eventual mutual respect.
>Kate's realization of the price paid by Randal is never glossed-over, or
>made easy, despite her admiration for many of the ways of The Lady and her
>people.

I agree with you (and there are a lot of us who love _Perilous Gard_ here).
I think it's Kate's own integrity that allows her to see the good in the
Lady's way of life--clinging to what they believe in the face of
destruction--and each woman probably recognizes a little bit of herself in
the other.

Welcome to the list!

Melissa Proffitt