Diane Duane (was the ambiguous nature of Faery)

PREISIG, Kylie Kylie.Preisig at qed.qld.gov.au
Thu Jul 29 00:31:43 EDT 1999

> > So You Want to Be a Wizard?  -- Nita & Kit, brilliant
> > Deep Wizardry -- Nita & Kit, brilliant
>
> I bought this one a couple of weeks ago, started reading it,
> but got bored
> with the language and handed it over to my 8yo. He has
> finished it but said
> it was just OK. So neither of us seemed to really like it. I
> didn't like the
> characters Nita or Kit much. (I got as far as Nita and Kit
> showing Nita's
> parents their wizardry)
>
> Since it seems to be recommended I can give it another try... but...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like this series.  I read _So You
Want to Be a Wizard_ because a lot of people in rec.arts.books.childrens who
like DWJ seemed to like these too, and I was sadly disappointed.

Highly condensed plot summary of SYWTBAW:  Kit and Nita study being Wizards
for a few weeks, then Save The World.

It all just seemed too easy!  DWJ's characters never have it that easy!  If
they are magical they do have to struggle a bit and adjust to it.

In DW scene with showing the parents the wizardry just made me cringe.
Parents aren't meant to just believe that kind of thing!  Then let the kids
run of and Save The World because the recognise their offspring really know
what they're doing!

Kylie