Kids, reading, and "good" lit...

McMullin, Elise mcmullea at kl.com
Wed Jul 21 11:10:12 EDT 1999

>Mary Ann wrote:
>"Does anyone else see some correspondence between Time of the Ghost and Fire
>and Hemlock, and hence some correspondence between Julian and Sebastian? I
>think that the relationship between the books is more cousinly than twinly,
>but I've been struck by the importance-- and difficulty-- of memory in each
>book, in which remembering is necessary in order to solve a problem which one
>had some hand in creating. There is also the similar subtheme of the Dreadful
>Boyfriend, o'course...."

Ooooo,  never thought of that!  Especially about needing to remember in
order to solve a problem one had a hand in creating. I'm going to have
to read them both again next to each other.  Howard in Archer's Goon has
a similar dubious surprise awaiting him as he gets closer to Venturus -
and remembering who he is (or has been) helps him solve the problem,
even though he is not particularly thrilled with the discovery.  Not
thrilled, that is, except for the realization of his ability to build
spaceships instead of just doodling them, which was a powerful
compensation.
Are there others where there is this memory question? And are there
others where the hero/ine had a hand in creating the original problem?
My mind is blanking.  I really like that the hero/ine would have been
part of the problem but what does it mean then about them and about the
others?  So many other stories go for the pat implicit answer that the
heroes and heroines are plain better than the others, but this seems
more complicated....