Absurd Fantasy writers

Peter W. Meek pwmeek at mail.msen.com
Tue Jul 20 08:41:07 EDT 1999

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 13:00:02 -0400, owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones)) wrote:

>Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:21:32 +0100
>From: Katherine Ferguson <list at maulu.demon.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: Absurd Fantasy writers
>
>On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Peter W. Meek wrote:
>
>> I pick out Margaret Ball especially,
>>who contributed not only stories, but a complete novel to the
>>series. Her contribution is the mathematical aspects of Magic
>>and Mayhem fantasy (with the gender-inversion twist common to
>>the series.)
><snip>
>> Mathemagics (the Ball novel). As you
>
>Any more info on this? Is her work easy to get hold of in the UK??? I'm
>currently dreaming up what I think of as a mathemagical setup for a
>story, and would be interested to know other people's take on
>mathemagics... (thanks to Mary Ann Dimand, whose early list post re
>Goedel's Thm started me off on this train of thought -- or maybe thanks
>is not the right word, since I'm sure there are more productive things I
>should be doing <vbg>)
>- --
>Katherine Ferguson

Her regular publisher seems to be:
Baen Books
Baen Publishing Enterprises
PO Box 1403
Riverdale, NY 10471

distributed by
Simon & Schuster
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020

My guess is the availability in the UK is low. Except
for the very hottest-selling books and authors, there
does not seem to be much cross-fertilization between
the two major english-speaking literatures, to all
of our disadvantages. Try it as a special order from
someone like the UK Amazon.com, or get a friend in the
US to order it and mail it off to you as a gift. You
might return the favor with some UK book that is hard
to get over here. (As gifts, they are not subject to
duty. Note that I insist that they BE gifts, with no
expectation of any reciprocal favor. I would never
suggest that anyone try to cheat their governments out
of a bit of revenue, nor the copyrighting agent in
either of the two countries.)

--
  --Pete
pwmeek at mail.msen.com (Peter W. Meek)