Disappointing bits

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Wed Dec 22 22:58:38 EST 1999

 Does anyone else notice disappointing bits in favourite books? I really
love HEXWOOD, but I find the Arthurian bits tiresome. What really prompted
this posting, though, is obin mcKinley's BEAUTY. It's a long-time favourite
of mine, but I always feel very let down by the ending. It's just the last
few pages that disappoint me

When the castle starts to wake up and all those people appear on the road -
where did *they* come from?
And even the arrival of Beauty's family seems a bit sudden. And the Beast
saying he's forgotten his name. And all that *fuss* on the last page. It
always seems to me that Robin M lost patience right at the end and tacked
on an ending that doesn't match the rest of the book.

Does anyone have any comments?

Sallyo.
“Why count your monsters before they’re hatched? There’s a good chance the
eggs will be addled.”
Marcus Sutherland; GOLDEN LODE.