Say, does anyone remember....

Tue Dec 21 18:44:57 EST 1999

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:16:31 -0500, McMullin, Elise wrote:

>	Yeah, I agree completely with you both.

That was me and Bodil, in case anyone's keeping track.

> If there was going to be
>sci-fi, then I felt like there ought to have been a lot more of it - like, a
>whole new detailed adventure we hear all about - not just an explanation as
>a dead end, once she goes into that city (been a long time, a bit vague now,
>but I do remember the event sequence - because I was so surprised and
>dismayed).  Who knows, maybe the author even wishes she could go back and
>tinker with that third book.  Did the author present us with an answer we
>didn't care about in place of answering the questions we did care about?
>(Until this list I would've used the singular because I only knew one other
>girl who read this book and we've lost touch years ago).

I remember distinctly when the third book came out.  I was so eager to read
it...and immediately fell into this jarringly different world.  It wasn't
just the different take, it was a completely different style of storytelling
and description.  And that's what I liked so much about the first two books.
At the end I was convinced that Meredith Ann Pierce had decided to turn her
lovely fairy tale into a feminist manifesto for reasons of her own--and
considering that I consider myself a feminist, them's fightin' words.  I
almost couldn't believe it.  I also wondered if perhaps I'd misread the
first books.  If she'd had this ending in mind the whole time and I'd just
gotten the wrong impression about what was going on.  It was horrible.  I
frankly don't care whether an ending is "happy" or not (hence my abiding
love for Thomas Hardy, I suppsose) but by thunder I want it to be
*justified*.  And that just wasn't.

>Anyway, even after forgetting the
>author and the series titles for the darkangel books, I could remember the
>heroine climbing up the hill with her friend/mistress in the thin, thin air
>- and what they looked like, and the expressions on their faces.  It's like
>remembering a really powerful dream.

Oh, absolutely.  Her whole world is like this powerful vision you can almost
taste--like the scent of apricoks and how a scream would sound when there's
almost not enough air to carry it.  Breathtaking.  I love rereading these.
You don't have them, do you Elise?  I will start looking out copies for you;
I actually see them occasionally.  I think it's one of those books that
appeals to a narrow range of taste; my mother-in-law hated it, but she has
Definite Ideas about how books should end.

>	Anyway, just rambling along and wondering how other people's
>memories work.  Better stop now!

I have a very visual memory--I remember words on the page and where on the
page they were.  Typeface is a very important part of reading for me; I
stopped buying Book Club editions because they tend to use the same boring
font for everything, and it bugs me.  I can't really pull quotes out of the
air, but there are some books that I've read often enough that I can do
that.  I figure as long as I can remember where to look it up, why bother
memorizing the quote?  :)

Melissa Proffitt