survey part 2

Nat Case hedberg at vermontel.net
Mon Dec 20 20:38:57 EST 1999

Here is the compilation of ³books that changed me². There are some real gems
down in the mentioned-by-one-person list. It deserves a careful
read-through. I have included any notes that people included.

Again, please reply to this to me directly ( hedberg at vermontel.net ), and
I¹ll send the list with everyone¹s comments out, maybe in a couple pieces.

Please keep your initial comments relatively short. The next (last) round is
a free-for-all, so you¹ll have time to say lots of stuff... Thanks.

These two lists are pretty huge, and I¹d like to suggest we talk about them
first... I¹ll compile the other lists later, to feed the discussion when
this bunch dies down, after the new year...

DIANA WYNNE JONES:

DWJ, HEXWOOD (literally fascinated me!) -SallyO
DWJ, FIRE AND HEMLOCK (blended myth and modern fantasy.) -SallyO
DWJ, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE(humour, romance and because I love the
characters.) -SallyO
DWJ, Deep Secret - Because I think it's nearly her best. -SallyO
Diana Wynne Jones, most of them (seriously!), but especially DOGSBODY, POWER
OF THREE, SUDDEN WILD MAGIC, DEEP SECRET, DARK LORD OF DERKHOLM. - Philip
DWJ, FIRE AND HEMLOCK, HOMEWARD BOUNDERS, ARCHER'S GOON - Melissa
Diana Wynne Jones, THE HOMEWARD BOUNDERS  [there are probably a number of
other dwj books that should go in this category]--Jenwa
DWJ, FIRE AND HEMLOCK and THE HOMEWARD BOUNDERS - Nat
DWJ, EIGHT DAYS OF LUKE  -Deborah
Diana Wynne Jones, CHARMED LIFE -I saw the light =). -Rainio
Diana Wynne Jones, FIRE AND HEMLOCK -Max
DWJ, THE TIME OF THE GHOST and FIRE AND HEMLOCK - Amanda
Almost everything by DWJ, but particularly her earlier work.- Vanessa
FIRE AND HEMLOCK, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, DEEP SECRET - Hallie
each and every DWJ - Elise

MORE THAN ONE MENTION:

Joan Aiken, NIGHTFALL. Because it's perfect. -SallyO;  DIDO AND PA - Hallie

Steven Brust, TO REIGN IN HELL--Jenwa
Brust & Bull, FREEDOM AND NECESSITY - -Deborah
Emma Bull, WAR FOR THE OAKS--Jenwa;  BONE DANCE, FALCON -Max

Orson Scott Card: ALVIN MAKER Series, ENDER'S GAME Series, WYRMS.- Vanessa;
ENDER'S GAME - Sarah, Jenwa; RED PROPHET - Nat; ENDER'S GAME AND SPEAKER FOR
THE DEAD - Melissa

Susan Cooper: THE DARK IS RISING.- Vanessa, Nat;   THE DARK IS RISING
SEQUENCE - Sarah, Amanda

Robert Cormier, FADE - Sarah;   Nat

Diane Duane, SO YOU WANT TO BE A WIZARD - Nat;   SO YOU WANT TO BE A WIZARD?
& DEEP WIZARDRY -Deborah

Neil Gaiman, THE SANDMAN (graphic novel)- Nat;    DEATH: THE HIGH COST OF
LIVING  [and all of the Sandman series]--Jenwa

Robert Heinlein, THE DOOR INTO SUMMER. Because it got me interested in
time-travel romance. -SallyO;   STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND - Philip

Madeleine L'Engle's non-fiction work, especially THE CROSSWICKS JOURNALS,
WALKING ON WATER, and TWO-PART INVENTION - Hallie;    A WRINKLE IN
TIME--Jenwa

Tanith Lee, THE WINTER PLAYERS, DRINKING SAPPHIRE WINE, THE SILVER METAL
LOVER, WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT - Philip;  SILVER METAL LOVER -Max

Ursula LeGuin, LATHE OF HEAVEN - Nat;  DANCING ON THE EDGE OF THE WORLD, and
LANGUAGE OF THE NIGHT - Vanessa

C S Lewis, A GRIEF OBSERVED - Hallie;   THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA - Philip;
CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, esp. The Horse & His Boy - Elise;   THE SILVER CHAIR
(I liked this one for Puddleglum.) -SallyO;   NARNIA Series (though on more
recent rereadings, it lacks that something.)- Vanessa

Margaret Mahy, THE CHANGEOVER(a fascination with blended genres again -
fantasy and romance.) -SallyO;   - Nat

Patricia McKillip, THE RIDDLEMASTER TRILOGY - Melissa;   THE CHANGELING SEA
- Hallie;   THE FORGOTTEN BEASTS OF ELD -Max

Robin McKinley, THE BLUE SWORD - Elise;  BEAUTY. (Perfection for me - it's
such a charming story and she avoided the "cheap thrill" of making the elder
sisters unpleasant.) -SallyO;  ROSE DAUGHTER,THE BLUE SWORD,THE OUTLAWS OF
SHERWOOD - Sarah

AA Milne, THE WORLD OF POOH [an omnibus edition containing "WINNIE THE POOH"
and "THE HOUSE AT POOH CORNER"] - Philip; THE HOUSE AT POOH CORNER -Max

L.M. Montgomery, THE BLUE CASTLE.  The first "ugly duckling" romance I ever
read and I still love it.  -SallyO;   EMILY OF NEW MOON  [and its two
sequels]--Jenwa

Marge Piercy--Dierdre; BRAIDED LIVES - Amanda

Elizabeth Marie Pope, THE PERILOUS GARD (Nearly perfect. A blend of history
and fantasy and folklore - struck fire with my interest in cross-genre
books.)-SallyO; - Elise; - Hallie

Philip Pullman: THE GOLDEN COMPASS - Nat ; HIS DARK MATERIALS (series) -
Sarah

Dorothy Sayers, GAUDY NIGHT - Karen, Hallie

Neal Stephenson, THE DIAMOND AGE - Elise;  SNOW CRASH--Jenwa

Cynthia Voigt: A SOLITARY BLUE. - Vanessa, Hallie;  DICEY'S SONG - Hallie

Connie Willis, DOOMSDAY BOOK - Melissa, Jenwa

MENTIONED BY ONE:

THE STORY OF ENGLISH. (because I learned so much) -SallyO
WHAT'S IN A NAME? (because it explained a lot.) -SallyO
Readers' Digest,  STRANGE STORIES AND AMAZING FACTS and THE STORY OF
   THE MIND - both fascinating over the years because of my interest
   in odd spot stuff. -SallyO
PERSUASION - Hallie
SOUNDINGS (the Leaving Cert. Poetry Anthology we studied (11th and
   12thgrades).  Sorry, but I really loved studying poetry in school.)
   - Hallie
THE ARABIAN NIGHTS - Elise
RAMAYANA & MAHABHARATA (William Buck translations - wonderful!) - Elise
THE DHAMMAPADA, (collected sayings of Buddha, various editions) - Elise
A book of English fairy tales (sorry, I've forgotten info!) - Elise
-----
D.S. Allan and J.B. Delair , WHEN THE EARTH NEARLY DIED - Elise
Piers Anthony, ON A PALE HORSE.  I don't know - this one just hit it
   for me. -SallyO
Piers Anthony, OUT OF PHAZE- it got me re-started on my fantasy kick.
   -SallyO
Jane Austen, PRIDE & PREJUDICE - Elise
James Bailey, SAILING TO PARADISE (kooky at the time, but daily
   growing more plausible) - Elise
Beryl Bainbridge, BIRTHDAY BOYS - Karen
Margaret J. Baker (I think), THE CATS OF HONEYTOWN. Another of those
   first animal fantasy books. -SallyO
Iain Banks, WALKING ON GLASS - Amanda
Beagle, FOLK OF THE AIR -Deborah
Samuel Beckett, WAITING FOR GODOT--Jenwa
Wilanne Schneider Belden, MIND-CALL - Melissa
Violet Bibby, MANY WATERS (another that joged my interest in
   historicals.)  -SallyO
Michael Bishop: PHILIP K. DICK IS DEAD, ALAS.- Vanessa
Beatrice Brandon, THE CLIFFS OF NIGHT. Ireland, thriller, archeology,
   romance, folk-lore, music - what more could I want at 17?) -SallyO
Poppy Z. Brite, DRAWING BLOOD--Jenwa
Vera Brittain, TESTAMENT OF YOUTH - Hallie
A.S. Byatt, POSSESSION - Karen
Roberto Calasso, THE MARRIAGE OF CADMUS AND HARMONY - Karen
Joseph Campbell , THE POWER OF MYTH (blew my adolescent mind) - Elise
D.H. Childress, The LOST CITIES Series  (true? false? who cares! made
   me feel Wonder again). - Elise
Samuel Taylor Coleridge, RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER - Nat
Joseph Conrad, HEART OF DARKNESS--Jenwa
Wendy Cope, SERIOUS CONCERNS -I didn't like poetry that much, but this
   humorous collection changed my mind. -Rainio
Gillian Cross:  CHARTBREAKER.- Vanessa
Primrose Cumming, SILVER SNAFFLES - (This is one of the three books
   that introduced me to animal fantasy.) -SallyO
Annie Dalton, THE WITCH ROSE. . (because it's so nearly perfect and
   for a young audience too.) -SallyO
Pamela Dean: TAM LIN.- Vanessa
Samuel R Delany--Dierdre
Dickens, BLEAK HOUSE - Karen
Peter Dickinson, THE CHANGES - Amanda
Joan Didion--Dierdre
Dostoevesky, THE BROTHERS KARAMOZOV - Karen
Dumas, THE THREE MUSKETEERS - Sarah
Gerald Durrell, MY FAMILY AND OTHER ANIMALS -Max
Monica Edwards' two series - my all time favourite series and probably
   instrumental in turning me into a writer. -SallyO
Eliot, MIDDLEMARCH - -Deborah
Ende, MOMO - Sarah
Walter Farley, BLACK STALLION - Nat
Penelope Farmer, SUMMER BIRDS - Nat
Antonia Forest's series - can't pick a single title, but it taught me
   a lot about character. -SallyO
Karen Joy Fowler: ARTIFICAL THINGS, BLACK GLASS.- Vanessa
Fynn, MISTER GOD, THIS IS ANNA - Philip
Leon Garfield, BLACK JACK (don't particularly know why this one of his
   stands out) - Hallie
Catherine George, TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING and Claire Harrison, ONE
   LAST DANCE because they showed me some category romance can be
   a-typical and well worth re-reading. -SallyO
Jean Gimpel, THE MEDIAEVAL MACHINE [non-fiction] - Philip
Rumer Godden, IN THIS HOUSE OF BREDE - Melissa
Goldman, THE PRINCESS BRIDE - Sarah
Joan Grant , WINGED PHARAOH (wow! Go read about the first dynasty
   after and boggle at the difference in perspective and the
   suggestive evidence) - Elise
Elizabeth Janet Gray, PENN - Nat
Graham Greene, BRIGHTON ROCK -Max
Lee Harding, DISPLACED PERSON- The first Aussie sci fi to get
   respectable. It meant a lot to me because after this one came out,
   the publishers stopped trying to tell me Aussie sci fi wouldn't
   sell! -SallyO
Thomas Hardy, TESS OF THE D'URBERVILLES - Melissa
Hermann Hesse, SIDDHARTHA - Nat
Georgette Heyer, THE UNKNOWN AJAX- (because of the clever plot) -SallyO
Georgette Heyer, THE TOLL GATE - (I loved the characters). -SallyO
Homer, THE ODYSSEY--Jenwa
Barry Hughart, BRIDGE OF BIRDS - Melissa
Keri Hulme, THE BONE PEOPLE - Nat
Tove Jansson, MOOMINLAND MIDWINTER -Max
Catherine Jinks, WITCHBANK  (A really wonderful Aussie fantasy with
   psych overtones. very clever.) -SallyO
Guy Gavriel Kay, TIGANA -showed me that 'epic fantasy' can be more
   than just mindless Tolkien clones. -Rainio
Kingston, WOMAN WARRIOR  -Deborah
E L Konigsburg, THE VIEW FROM SATURDAY - Hallie
Michele Landsberg, READING FOR THE LOVE OF IT - Hallie
Jane Langton, THE DIAMOND IN THE WINDOW and THE SWING IN THE
   SUMMERHOUSE - Amanda
Harper Lee, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD - Sarah
Fritz Leiber, THE WANDERER - Philip
Astrid Lindgren, BROTHERS LIONHEART  - Nat
Lowry, THE GIVER - Sarah
Alison Lurie--Dierdre
Anne-Marie MacDonald, FALL ON YOUR KNEES - Karen
Michelle Magorian, GOODNIGHT, MR. TOM -Max
Jan Mark, AT THE SIGN OF THE DOG AND ROCKET.  Yet another blended
   book. -SallyO
Anne McCaffrey, RESTOREE. A very clever book and her best, I think.
   -SallyO
Ian McEwan, THE COMFORT OF STRANGERS - Amanda
Several Barbara Michaels books - because the blended genres prove it
   can be done - and successfully, too! Now I only have to convince
   the local publishers... -SallyO
Alan Moore, WATCHMEN  (graphic novel)- Amanda
Terry Moore, STRANGERS IN PARADISE--Jenwa
Christian Morgenstern, with English translations by Max Knight et al,
   GALGENLIEDER / GALLOWS SONGS AND OTHER POEMS [in German, but I read
   the English more] - Philip
E. Nesbit, THE ENCHANTED CASTLE - Melissa
Charlton Ogburn, THE MAN WHO WAS SHAKESPEARE (oh, such fun!  My
   Shakespeare profs would freak!) - Elise
George Orwell, 1984--Jenwa
K.M. Peyton, A PATTERN OF ROSES. Another blended genre book that
   helped set my taste. -SallyO
Meredith Ann Pierce, DARKANGEL TRILOGY (such a vision) - Elise
Sylvia Plath, THE BELL JAR - Amanda
Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, GOOD OMENS--Jenwa
Kristen Randle, THE ONLY ALIEN ON THE PLANET - Melissa
Rawlings, THE YEARLING - Sarah
Renault, THE LAST OF THE WINE - Karen
The poetry of Pierre Reverdy (esp. Couloir and L'auberge) - Elise
Marilynne Robinson: HOUSEKEEPING.- Vanessa
Sally Rogers-Davidson, POLYMER.  The first great Aussie space opera!
   You go, Sally R-D!  -SallyO
Anne Sexton, THE AWFUL ROWING TOWARD GOD (also blew my adolescent
   mind) - Elise
Wallace Shawn, AUNT DAN AND LEMON (Play) - Nat
Sleator, ODDBALLS - Sarah
Barbara Sleigh, THE KINGDOM OF CARBONEL.  the third animal fantasy.
   -SallyO
Elizabeth George Speare, THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND  - because it got
   me interested in historicals and still re-reads well.-SallyO
John Steinbeck, EAST OF EDEN -Max
Mary Stewart, TOUCH NOT THE CAT.  more guts and romance than some of
   her stuff, and it has a fantasy-type strand in it. -SallyO
Sean Stewart, PASSION PLAY -introduced me to this author's work. An
   excellent book in which the main protagonist faces serious ethical
   conflicts. -Rainio
Patrick Susskind, PERFUME - Amanda
Michael Swanwick, THE IRON DRAGON'S DAUGHTER [a recent discovery] -
   Philip
Amy Tan, THE JOY LUCK CLUB--Jenwa
Frances Temple, THE RAMSEY SCALLOP - Hallie
Josephine Tey, DAUGHTER OF TIME - Elise
Ngugi Wa Thiong'o, A GRAIN OF WHEAT -Max
Thucydides, THE PELOPONNESIAN WAR--Jenwa
Tolkien, THE LORD OF THE RINGS - Karen
Geoffrey Trease, THE SECRET FIORD.  Scandinavia, history, twins,
   mystery, adventure - bliss! -SallyO
Frederick Turner, THE NEW WORLD (an epic poem) - Nat
Barry Unsworth, SACRED HUNGER - Karen
Jack Vance, LYONESSE - Elise
Jhonen Vasquez, JOHNNY THE HOMICIDAL MANIAC--Jenwa
Dr. B. Weiss, MANY LIVES, MANY MASTERS  (more wild suggestive ideas) -
   Elise
Rebecca West, BLACK LAMB AND GREY FALCON - Karen
Keith Whilley, OUR AUSTRALIAN HERITAGE. Got it cheap at a market and
   will never lose it. The most wonderful research book for historical
   writing. -SallyO
Edmund White--Dierdre
Robert Anton Wilson, HISTORICAL ILLUMINATUS trilogy - Nat
ed. Terri Windling, SNOW WHITE, ROSE RED Series - Nat
Jeanette Winterson, ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT -Rainio
Gene Wolfe, THE SHADOW OF THE TORTURER (another amazing vision) - Elise
Denis Wood, THE POWER OF MAPS - Nat
Liz Young, NO GENTLEMAN. Very funny! I laughed all through a long bus
   journey. -SallyO
Gary Zukav, THE SEAT OF THE SOUL - Elise

SallyO adds:

And 4 short stories
Faithful Jenny Dove by Eleanor Farjeon
Crusader's Toby and Humblepuppy by Joan Aiken
The Girl Who Couldn't say No by Robert Westall - perfection again.

And some of my own titles, because I write to my own taste... and in some
cases I feel I've changed when I finish writing them. These titles include
Anna's Own, Trinity Street, Shadowdancers, Translations in Celadon,
O'Connor's Last Stand.