Tam Lin

Nat Case hedberg at vermontel.net
Mon Dec 20 17:23:21 EST 1999

Juniper, Gentian and Rosemary. I got about 1/3 of the way in, and haven't
picked it up again for a couple months. She has a very peculiar (to my
taste) style of plotting, where incidents sort of build up in the
background, so that the denouement is in a way less satisfying than the
exploration of the world of the characters. She loves writing about smart
people (which is why Tam Lin worked so well, I think). There is a kind of
hothouse quality to her intellectual characters; Dean really shows what it's
like to live inside a mind like that, full of quotes and obscure metaphor.
Instead of making allowances for those of us who _weren't_ English Lit
majors (as, by comparison, DWJ does), she writes for people who were born to
be English Lit majors, with no apology. So in a way her books are character
studies more than plot-driven fantasies. And I generally like and recognize
those characters. It's scary how many of my best friends are like that...

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc.