Georgette Heyer's missing books

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Mon Dec 20 11:13:29 EST 1999

> way my reading experience went.  What I'm hoping is to discover other titles
> by her that I like as well as _Sophy_.  Any opinions?

Others have already cast their votes.  Here's my half groat's worth, in
approximate order of my preference:

Venetia and False Colours - good Regency romances.

The Toll Gate - her best detective story IMHO.  In fact another Regency romance,
but with a whodunnit plot.

Of her early books, I like The Masqueraders (18th Cent.) and The Conqueror (11th
Cent.) best.

For a good rollocking adventure, try Beauvallet (spy story, 16th Cent.)

For humour laid on far too thick, almost up to Pratchett levels, try Arabella -
a comedy of errors that makes me want to scream at the characters to stop being
so stupid.  (Friday's Child is similar, but less scream-worthy, so perhaps
better)

Also worth a look are Frederica and The Nonesuch.

Some books come in pairs with almost identical plots.  Of these, The Foundling
is better than Charity Girl; Black Sheep is better than Lady of Quality.

Finally, my favourite _title_ (and not a bad book):  The Reluctant Widow (Spy
story again, this time during Napoleonic wars)

If you are only starting to get into Heyer, I wouldn't advise reading _any_ of
her contemporary mysteries unless you are a dedicated whodunnit fan.  Even then,
start with The Toll Gate, The Talisman Ring, Regency Buck, The Reluctant Widow
and _then_ read her modern stuff.

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.