Multiple genres

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Sun Dec 19 14:51:57 EST 1999

In a message dated 12/19/99 12:42:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au writes:
>In Agatha Christie's stories, the Puzzle is the thing, and the
>characters are just more pieces in the puzzle.
>In Ellis Peters' novels, it's the characters who drive the stories.
>This does make a difference.

        That seems to be one of the main things that make a book a 'keeper'
doesn't it?  That strong sense of getting to know a character from the
inside, instead of from the outside.  Though the surface characters can be
entertaining too.  I guess it all depends on what you're looking for from any
given book at any given time?

Question: If Dashiell Hammett was writing in the thirties, and WWII is in the
history books, does that make Sam Spade a historical detective? ;)  If so,
then that makes two I've heard of!  (if not then it's back to the drawing
board--sigh)

Max
<who was just watching "The Maltese Falcon">