Multiple genres

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Dec 19 12:32:16 EST 1999

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999 Tanaquil2 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/19/99 10:22:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au writes:
>
> > Edith Pargeter. Wrote historical romances, but better known for
> > the crime novels she wrote under a nom de plume.
> > (And, come to think of it, best known for a series of crime novels
> > in a historical setting.)
>
>         These sound interesting.  Would you happen to know what the
> nom de plume was?

Ellis Peters.

> And are they crime crime (gory) or mild crime (Miss Marple) or
> somewhere in between?

Mild crime, but not MissMarpley.

(cue detective stories lecture)

In Agatha Christie's stories, the Puzzle is the thing, and the
characters are just more pieces in the puzzle.
In Ellis Peters' novels, it's the characters who drive the stories.
This does make a difference.

> The crime in a historical setting wouldn't be the Cadfael ones
> would they?

Yep.

> (As you can see my knowledge is extremely sketchy here!  This is the
> only historical crime series I can think of, and I only know it
> because it was on tv.)

Not to worry. Cadfael isn't the only historical detective around, but
he's probably one of the best known.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."