Remember who is Always Right

Thu Dec 16 23:24:46 EST 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 15:54:27 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>Max wrote, and Melissa replied:
>>>        Well, that makes *me* feel chuffed because Melissa Is Always Right!
>>
>>Well, I'm glad to see that SOMEONE is paying attention.  I hate having to
>>repeat myself.  :)
>
>I'm starting to become a touch worried about this.  If 1) Melissa is always
>right (and we have all accepted this), and 2) Melissa has clearly stated
>that other people's opinions (about books anyway) are as good as Melissa's,

Oh, no, not quite.  Other people's opinions may be validly their opinions.
They are probably not as good as mine.  :)  (Seriously, I'm getting such a
laugh out of this topic!)

>even if those other people do not have a degree in English, we may be
>headed for trouble.  If 1) holds, than 2) *must* be true, and if we have a
>situation where one of us is rash enough to disagree with Melissa, and
>his/her opinion is NOT as good as Melissa's (quite probable, of course)
>then we have a system in which two sets of truths cannot co-exist.  As, of
>course, in F & H and Witch Week.

>If this should occur, I haven't yet worked out whether the list will cease
>to exist, we will all cease to exist, or, indeed whether our whole world
>will cease to exist.  Of course, there may be other worlds in which Melissa
>is always wrong (shudder), or possibly, and more happily, magic will exist
>everywhere, we all get to be magids, witches, or, my own personal
>favourite, have gifts like Sophie's.  (I've always, always wanted a Mrs.
>Penstemmon to say "I must say, I like your gift" to me.)  We may have to
>put up with a few worlds ruled by dreary bush goddesses and the like as
>well, so maybe we should all be very, very careful not to disagree with
>Melissa unduly.  And given 1), it's always unduly.  (You will remember, I
>did say on Dahl that I would never have started that had I known it would
>be Melissa to disagree with me!)

Still laughing very hard...

Well, I personally think the world might rupture.  Or you're all just
figments of my imagination, which could be equally true.  There must be some
mathematical way to express this dilemma which will allow us to continue
existing.  I suppose I *could* make some egregious error of judgement and we
could all observe what happens.

>Of course, maybe Melissa could get us out of this by saying that she never
>really meant 2), but said it to make the rest of us feel better?  I don't
>think this would violate 1), as long as Melissa said it.  But I'm not sure.
>At all.  Melissa?

HAH!  You've discovered my secret!  I only said that to make the rest of you
feel good about your pitiful little lives!  But never fear, soon you will
all be under my power and then I will RULE THE WORLD and PEOPLE WILL
TREMBLE!!!!

Oh, wait, did I say that out loud?  Sorry, just forget about that little
outburst.  Really.

I wonder, if our world actually did fracture into a Series, how many of us
would be nine-lived enchanters...or what our analogues would all be like.
I'm pretty sure at least one of me would be a Gwendolen.  Sorry, all.  At
least, sorry to anyone who ends up on the Gwendolen-me's world.  The rest of
you would probably be relieved.

Melissa Proffitt